Harriet Putnam Henry, Honorary 1984, died on September 11, 2004, in Scarborough.
Harriet Putnam Henry, Honorary 1984, died on September 11, 2004, in Scarborough. Born on September 28, 1923, in Ashland, KY, she prepared for college at Ashland High School and graduated from Smith College in 1945. Following her graduation from the George Washington University School of Law, she was employed by the office of the Quartermaster General and the National Security Agency in Washington, D.C. She moved to Maine in 1958 and served as president of the Portland League of Voters, as chair of the Portland Housing Authority, and as a member of the board of the United Way, the Cumberland County Child Abuse and Neglect Council, the Tri- County Child Care Coordinating Committee, the Maine Status of Women Committee, and the Job Corps Advisory Committee. She was the author of a four-volume study on Maine Law Affecting Marine Resources under the auspices of the Sea Grant Programs and the University of Maine School of Law. She was a trustee of Westbrook College, served on the University of Maine Advisory Council and was the chair of the Joint Action Commission on University Goals and Directions at what is now the University of Southern Maine. In 1973, she was appointed a judge in the Maine District Court System. She wrote the history of that system, The Maine District Court: Twenty-Five Years of Progress, published in 1987, and was a founding member of the National Association of Women Judges. After retiring as a judge in 1990, she was the chair of The Commission to Study the Future of Maine Courts. She was a member of the board of the Maine Historical Society, a corporator of Maine Medical Center in Portland, and a member of the Maine Humanities Council and the Maine Commission on Governmental Ethics and Elections. She was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church in Portland, a member of the Episcopal Diocesan Commission on Ministry, and chief judge of the Diocesan Ecclesiastical Court. She received an honorary doctor of law degree from Bowdoin in 1984 and also received an honorary degree from the University of Maine at Orono and the Deborah Morton Award from Westbrook College. In 2003, the Maine Humanities Council dedicated the Harriet P. Henry Center for the Book in her honor. She was married in 1954 to Merton G. Henry ’50, who survives her, as do two sons, Donald P. Henry of Arlington, VA, and Douglas M. Henry ’80 of Winchester, MA; a daughter, Martha S. Henry ’82 of Cambridge, MA; two sisters, Hannah Fox of Scarborough and Betty Huebner of San Antonio, TX; a brother, Donald Putnam of Naples, FL; and four grandchildren.