William Miller Davis ’49 died on January 23, 2008, in Pittsburgh, Penn.
Born in Pittsburgh on September 24, 1927, he prepared for college at Shady Side Academy there. He served in the U.S. Naval Reserve from 1945-46. He became a member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity at Bowdoin. He received a master of divinity degree from the Philadelphia Divinity School in 1953. He was the vicar of St. Bartholomew’s Church in Scotsdale, Penn., from 1953-55, assistant rector of the Church of the Advent in Spartanburg, S.C., from 1955-58, vicar of St. Andrew’s Church in Newfane, N.Y., and St. John’s Episcopal Church in Wilson, N.Y., from 1958-61, rector at St. Paul’s Church in New Albany, Ind., from 1961-69, associate rector of St. Alban’s Parish in Washington, D.C., from 1969-74, and rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish in Hughesville, Md., from 1974 until 1987. In that year, he moved to Pittsburgh. He was predeceased by his wife, Louise Eddy Davis, whom he married in 1953. He is survived by three daughters, Jean Davis Taft of East Falmouth, Mass., Laura Douglass Davis of Pittsburgh, and Helen Thaw Davis, also of Pittsburgh; three brothers, John P. Davis of Pittsburgh, Richard G. Davis ’57 of Littleton, Colo., and George H. Davis ’60 of East Hampton, N.Y.; a sister, Jean Davis Falk of Pittsburgh; and two grandchildren.