Allan L. Johnson ’49 died on June 11, 2008, in Oro Valley, Arizona.
Born in Portland on July 3, 1924, he prepared for college at Deering High School and Portland Junior College. He served in the Army from 1943 to 1945 and was awarded the Bronze Star. He enrolled at Bowdoin in 1946 and was a member of Alpha Delta Phi fraternity. Upon graduation, he took a position at Sun Oil in Boston, where he worked for seven years, launching a successful career in sales and marketing. In 1956, he moved to Oregon when he was hired to sell pulp-refining equipment for John W. Bolton and Sons Inc. and the Emerson Manufacturing Company Division (Bolton-Emerson) in the northwestern states and Canada. He held positions at the Black-Clawson Co. and Washington Iron Works in Seattle, Stebbins Engineering and Construction Co. in Baton Rouge and Astralloy-Vulcan Corp. in Salt Lake City. He is survived by his wife of 59 years, Jane (Nelson) Johnson; daughters Pamela Walker, Debora Chiesi and Cynthia Pelham-Webb; sons Lawrence Johnson and Matt Johnson; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.