Andrew T. McMillan ’58, renowned sculptor and teacher, died August 21, 2009, in Randolph, N.H.
Andrew T. McMillan ’58, renowned sculptor and teacher, died August 21, 2009, in Randolph, N.H. He was born on May 22, 1936, in Concord, Mass., and prepared for college at Middlesex School in Concord. He left Bowdoin, where he was a member of Psi Upsilon fraternity, to join the Army, where he attained the rank of specialist grade 4. He was stationed in the Demilitarized Zone between South and North Korea, where he served as a radio operator in Company A, 8th Engineer Battalion, Infantry Division, First Cavalry Division. He returned to Bowdoin in 1959 and graduated in 1961 but remained a member of the class of 1958. He was called back into military service during the Berlin Crisis of 1961, which resulted in the erection of the Berlin Wall. A student of George Demetrios, a classical sculptor, he taught drawing and sculpture at several institutions, including the Art Institute of Boston; the Cambridge Center; Center for Creative Arts in Medford; Gilmore Art Center in Kalamazoo, Mich., and the Charles River Art Center. He also was a blacksmith and a member of the New England Blacksmith Association and the Artist-Blacksmith’s Association of New England. He is survived by a daughter, Sarah Edith Cobb McMillan; two sisters, Ellen Aman and Edith Tucker; and two stepbrothers, M. Lawrence Harris and Christopher Harris. He was predeceased by a sister, Caroline O. McMillan.