Charles Hutchins MacMahon, Jr. ’40 died on February 10, 2006, in Orange City, Florida.
Born on June 6, 1918, in Seward, AK, he prepared for college at Cleveland Heights High School in Ohio and Bronxville High School in New York and became a member of Psi Upsilon Fraternity at Bowdoin, which he attended in 1936-37. After attending the University of Pennsylvania College of Architecture for a year, he transferred to the University of Michigan College of Architecture, from which he graduated in 1942. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Navy from 1942 to 1945, attaining the rank of lieutenant senior grade. For a year, he was a staff designer with Harley, Ellington, and Day in Detroit, MI, and from 1947 to 1952 was a district manager with the U.S. Gypsum Company in Chicago, IL. After four years as a general sales manager with the Spickelmier Company in Indianapolis, IN, he became vice president of Smith,Tarapata, MacMahon, Inc., in Birmingham, MI. From 1959 until 1973, he was president of Tarapata, MacMahon, Paulsen Corporation in Bloomfield Hills, MI, and in 1973 became the owner of Charles MacMahon, Architect, in DeLand, FL, which later became MacMahon, Cajacob Architectural Firm in DeLand. He was a member of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, the College of Fellows of the American Institute of Architects, the President’s Club of the University of Michigan, and the DeLand Noon Rotary Club. He was active in the Kyros Prison Ministry in Florida and while in Michigan was president of the Michigan Society of Architects from 1962 to 1964. Surviving are his wife, Ethel Pearce MacMahon, whom he married in 1942; a son, Charles H. MacMahon III of Fort Lauderdale, FL; a daughter, Charlotte Neumann of Rochester, MI; two sisters, Martha Haldeman of Severville, TN, and Judy Holmes of Moorestown, NJ; four grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.