Charles Theodore Brown ’40 died on March 13, 2005, in Freeport, Maine.
Born on November 21, 1912, in West Stockbridge, MA, he graduated from Williams High School in Stockbridge in 1930 and received his diploma from Bangor Theological Seminary in 1936. He entered Bowdoin in 1937 as a member of the junior class and was graduated in 1941 as a member of the Class of 1940. In 1947, he received his bachelor of divinity degree from Bangor Theological Seminary. He was a minister in churches in Portage, Woolwich, and Monmouth before serving as a chaplain in the U.S. Army from 1943 to 1946 during World War II, attaining the rank of captain. After the war, he became pastor of the Elm Street Congregational Church in Bucksport, a position that he held until 1978, except for three years at the First Congregational Church in Stockbridge from 1954 to 1957. After he retired in 1978 and had moved to Sandy Point, he served for some years as pastor of the Congregational church there. He was the founder and first president of the Bucksport Historical Society, an honorary member of the Sandy Point American Legion, and a former member of the Monmouth Grange. He was a director of the Maine Conference of the United Church of Christ, and in 1969 was the recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus Award of the Bangor Theological Seminary. For many years he wrote “Seen through the Binoculars,” a column on bird watching for the Bucksport Free Press. Surviving are his wife, Mary Flanders Brown, whom he married in 1942; a son, the Reverend Kendall H. Brown of Evansville, IN; two daughters, Sharon Brown and Deborah Betit, both of Brunswick; three grandchildren, one of whom, Hannah M. Brown, graduated from Bowdoin in 1997; and a sister, Elizabeth Butler of Oneida, TN.