David Nichols Harris ’49 died on September 18, 2005, in Chicago, IL.
David Nichols Harris ’49 died on September 18, 2005, in Chicago, IL. Born on March 26, 1926, in Washington, DC, he prepared for college at Dunbar High School there and attended Howard University in Washington, DC, in 1943- 44. After serving in the U.S. Navy as a radar man 3rd class from January of 1945 to August of 1946, he returned to Howard University before transferring to Bowdoin in 1948 and becoming a member of Alpha Rho Upsilon fraternity. Following his graduation in September of 1948 as a member of the Class of 1949, he received a master of divinity degree from the Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, MA, and served at the Washington Cathedral and later as curate in the Diocese of Washington at the St. Luke Protestant Episcopal Church. He did further study at the University of Cambridge Emanuel College in Cambridge, England, and in the early 1960s became a Ph.D. candidate at the University of Chicago in Illinois. He was a vicar at Holy Cross-Emanuel Church and rector at St. Bartholomew Church and also served as chaplain for Wilson Junior College and Chicago Teachers College. In 1971, he became canon of the Ordinary of Metropolitan Affairs and, in 1973, he was appointed canon of the Cathedral of St. James. In 1982, he became vicar at St. Margaret of Scotland Church and dean of the South Deanery. Surviving him are two sisters, Mrs. Patricia Harris of Washington, DC, and Mrs. Louise Johnson of Westbury, NY.