Don Stark Marshall ’58 died on September 21, 2005, in South Hill, Virginia.
Born on May 26, 1936, in Ann Arbor, MI, he prepared for college at State High School in Kalamazoo, MI, and Williston Academy in Easthampton, MA, and became a member of Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity at Bowdoin. Following his graduation in 1958, he was a greenskeeper at the Montclair (NJ) Golf Club, where he became assistant superintendent in 1960 and superintendent in 1962. He was director of club operations there from 1970 to 1974, when he became development manager of the Lighthouse Sound Country Club in Ocean City, MD. During the years that followed, he held positions as general manager of Pebble Beach Corporation in California, general manager of the Landowner’s Association in Quechee, VT; golf operations manager for the city of Anaheim’s two public courses and the Anaheim Stadium Field. In 1988, after having had heart disease for five years, he received a heart transplant at Loma Linda University Medical Center. At the time of his death from a re-occurrence of cancer, Mr. Marshall was Loma Linda’s longest surviving heart transplant patient. He retired from Anaheim in 1992 and moved to Mathews, VA. He is survived by his wife, Zenaide (Sue) Evelyn White, whom he married in 1961; two sons, Geoffrey Marshall and Gary Marshall; a brother, Bruce Marshall; and three grandchildren.