Donald Elwin Martin ’49 died on November 4, 2006, in Exeter, New Hamsphire.
Born on March 25, 1925, in Portland, he prepared for college at Deering High School there and served as a navigator in the U.S. Army Air Forces inWorld War II from June of 1943 to August of 1945, attaining the rank of first lieutenant and receiving three Air Medals and a commendation ribbon. He entered Bowdoin in the fall of 1945 and became a member of Chi Psi Fraternity. Following his graduation in 1948 as a member of the Class of 1949, he joined the Portland Burial Case Company. He was employed by the accounting firm of Stevens, MacDonald, and Page for some years before joining the Maine Motor Rate Bureau in 1960. He was promoted to manager in 1968 and later executive vice president of the bureau. He was a former member of the Woodfords Congregational Church in Portland. Following his retirement, he moved to Exeter in 2003. He was married in 1950 to Nathalie Murphy, who survives him, as does a son, C. Andrew Martin.