Edward Benjamin Burr ’45 died on November 24, 2004, in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Born on December 19, 1923 in Worcester, MA, he prepared for college at Classical High School there and became a member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity at Bowdoin, which he attended from 1941 to 1943. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army, attaining the rank of staff sergeant and being awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star (twice), the Purple Heart, and the Combat Infantryman Badge. After the war, he returned to the College in February of 1946 and graduated cum laude in September of that year. In 1948, he received a master of business administration degree from the Wharton School of Finance of the University of Pennsylvania and became director of the educational division of the Institute of Life Insurance in New York City. With the National Association of Investment Companies, he was director of public information from 1954 to 1956, when he became its executive director. In 1958 he joined The One William Street Fund, where he was executive vice president, as well as president of William Street Sales, Inc. He was chair and chief executive officer of Hugh W. Long and Company, Inc., of Elizabeth, NJ, before joining the Anchor Corporation in Elizabeth, with which he was president and vice chair from 1964 to 1978. He was chair of the board of Anchor National Life in Phoenix, AZ, from 1965 to 1985, when he retired and became honorary chair. In 1987 he became president and then vice chair and finally a consultant to United Planners’ Financial Service, a national broker- dealer firm organized by him and two associates following his retirement from Anchor National Companies. He retired in the summer of 2004. He served for 10 years as a director of Scottsdale Memorial Healthcare, was a director of the Arizona Community Foundation, United Bancorp, the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce, the Scottsdale Club at Gainey Ranch, and the Camelback Golf Club. In Bowdoin affairs he served for four years as an Alumni Fund director, and was chairman of the 1964-65 Fund. He was also an Overseer of the College from 1966 to 1969, when he moved to Arizona. Surviving are a brother, Guy W. Burr of Shrewsbury, MA; a sister, Phyllis B. Patch of Port Townsend, WA; three daughters, Susan B. Williams of Newington, CT, Nancy B. Montanaro of Roxbury, CT, and Kelly B. Carter of Dallas, TX; and a granddaughter, Lisa H. Williams. He is also survived by his first wife of 25 years, Mary Hayes Burr, and his second wife of 23 years, Kay Burr Laposky.