F. Allan MacDonald ’54 died September 8, 2008, in Cohasset, Mass.
Born and raised in South Quincy, he was a Scituate resident for 30 years before moving to Cohasset.The son of Frank E. MacDonald ’23, he prepared for college at North Quincy High School. He earned master’s degrees from both Boston University and Wesleyan University and taught AP English at Cohasset High School for 29 years. He was co-founder of the Alternative School in the mid-1970s and its director into the mid-1980s. He served in the U.S.Army as a First Lieutenant in 1955 with the Ranger Division in post-war Germany.A member of First Parish Church in Cohasset, he also served as chairman of Green Sanctuary Committee and as the publicity chairman for the Cohasset Recycling Committee, a member of Sustainable Cohasset and Voluntary Simplicity, and was a Vedanta Centre devotee. He wrote a column for the Cohasset Mariner for several years on the environment and recycling issues. He is survived by a daughter, Alison L. MacDonald, of Nantucket; a son, Rod A. MacDonald of East Hampton, Conn.; two sisters, Jean Peterson of Aptos, Calif., and Nancy Cultrera of Eliot, Maine; a brother, Fred MacDonald of North Quincy; and four grandchildren. He was predeceased by a son,Andrew S. MacDonald.