George Robert Dawson ’45 died on May 16, 2007, in Rockport, Maine.
Born on November 3, 1923, in Jersey City, N.J., he prepared for college at Eastside High School in Paterson, N.J. He joined Kappa Sigma Fraternity at Bowdoin and served in the U.S.Army from 1943 to 1946 during World War II. He graduated from the College in 1947 and from the Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, Mass., in 1950. He served as vicar at St. John’s Church in Ramsey, N.J., for a year and then for nine years as rector. In 1960, he became the rector of Grace Church in Baldwinsville, N.J., and was rector of St. Paul’s Church from 1965 to 1970. He was the vicar of Grace Chapel in East Rutherford, N.J., from 1971 to 1974, when he became chaplain and manager of the Mariners’ International Center, a branch of Seaman’s Church Institute of New York. He retired in 1989 and moved to Rockland, where he volunteered his services to prison ministry and served as a substitute priest at St. Timothy’s Church of Vinalhaven for several years. In addition, he celebrated the Eucharist Sunday afternoons at both the Knox Center for Long Term Care and Shore Village and Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. He was also a member of the Down East Singers, served as president of the Propeller Club in Searsport, and was a member of the Rockland Kiwanis Club. He also served as president of the local chapter of Habitat for Humanity. Surviving him are his wife, Roberta Tebbetts Dawson, whom he married in 1949; two sons, George W. Dawson of Dover, Del., and John H. Dawson of Owls Head; a daughter, the Reverend Marjorie D. Lindstrom of Rutherford, N.J.; and three grandchildren.