Granton Hunt Dowse, Jr. ’35 died on August 27, 2004, in Wayland, Massachusetts.
Born on January 9, 1911, in Lowell, MA, he prepared for college at Browne and Nichols School in Cambridge, MA, and became a member of Zeta Psi Fraternity at Bowdoin. Following his graduation in 1935, he was a real estate salesman with John T. Burns and Sons in Wellesley, MA, and then became a cost estimator with Matheson-Higgins Company in Boston, a small die cutting, paper converting, and display finishing concern, where he became president and treasurer in 1945. During Word War II, he served in the U.S. Navy from 1942 to 1945, attaining the rank of boatswain mate first class. After the war, he returned to Matheson- Higgins as its president in locations that included Boston, Cambridge, and Woburn. He retired in 1976. He was also the president and treasurer of Boston Bookbinding Company in Cambridge obituaries from 1951 to 1977 and for many years of Dowse, Inc. He also was a director of Dwight Rudd & Company in Cambridge from 1951 to 1969. Mr. Dowse was a member of the vestry of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Weston and a member of the Sierra Club and the Appalachian Mountain Club. He became a member of AMC’s 4000 Footers Club in the 1960s and was a Class IV whitewater instructor. He continued to heat his house with wood until the late 1980s, cutting, splitting, and moving the wood himself. He skied until he was 85, and rode his touring motorcycle until the age of 88. In Bowdoin affairs, he was a volunteer in capital campaigns in the 1970s and the 1980s. He was a member of the Weston Recycling Committee and took part in the Walk for Hunger in Boston and the Greater Boston Food Bank. While stationed in Scotland during World War II, he was married in 1944 to Irene Murray, who died in 2003. Surviving are a daughter, Juliet A. Green of Lyman, NH; a son, John M. Dowse of Wayland, MA; a sister, Elizabeth G. Reggio of Groton, MA; and three granddaughters.