Harry Edward Born ’57 died on July 16, 2005, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Born on October 5, 1935, in Cleveland, OH, he prepared for college at Lake Shore School in St. Clair Shores, MI, and at the Cranbrook School in Bloomfield Hills, MI, and became a member of Sigma Nu Fraternity at Bowdoin. Following his graduation in 1957, he taught history and algebra at the Cranbrook School for a year and then was the news editor of the Wayne, MI, Eagle in 1958-59 while attending the University of Michigan, from which he received a master of arts degree in history in 1959. After serving in the U.S. Army for six months, he was editor of the Maple Heights, OH, Press for a year before becoming assistant director of public relations at Union College in New York. He was promoted to associate director in 1963 and in 1965 returned to Bowdoin as editor of the alumni magazine, a position that he held until 1970. In 1967, he also became Bowdoin’s college editor. In 1983, he became assistant director for publications of the Virginia Water Resources Research Center at Virginia Polytechnic Institute, where he remained until 1990, when he became director of communications and marketing with the Air and Waste Management Association in Pittsburgh, PA, a position that he held until his retirement. While at Bowdoin, he volunteered with environmental and educational groups and served as president of the board of Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Maine. He founded a dental clinic for low-income residents of coastal Maine and begun a rural- urban exchange program for Maine Indian children. Surviving are his wife, Bernice Strawinski Born, whom he married in 1960; two daughters, M. Martha Gutierrez and Kathryn A. Colborn; a son, David E. Born; two brothers, Wilson E. Born’ 60 of Fraser, MI, and Rich Born; two sisters, Susan B. Maas and Sara B. Alexanian; and four grandchildren.