Harry Edward Waning ’49, a prolific southern Maine builder, died August 5, 2009, in Westbrook, Maine.
He was born on March 17, 1928, in Somerville, Mass., and prepared for college at Deering High School in Portland. He entered Bowdoin at 16, was a member of Chi Psi frater- nity, and left after two years to serve in the Marine Corps. He was stationed in the Aleutian Islands and Vieacus, Puerto Rico, attaining the rank of corporal. He returned to Bowdoin to complete his degree in 1950. After graduating, he owned and operated with his wife Wan- ing and Son Construction Company. After more than 50 years in business, he was instrumental in building more than 135 homes in southern Maine. In the early 1960s, he established a specialty in the construction of churches, and built more than 13 across the state, includ ing Trinity Episcopal and St. Pius X in Portland, and Cape Elizabeth Methodist and Redeemer Lutheran Church in Cape Elizabeth. He also honed his passion for historical restoration projects by working on the Victoria Mansion, the Henry Wadsworth Longfellow House, the North Yarmouth Meeting House, and the Hyde School in Bath. He served on the vestry of Trinity Episcopal Church for many years, and became senior warden. He also belonged to the Westbrook Rotary and served on the board of Camp Bishop- swood in Camden. He is survived by two daughters, Rebecca Andre and Rachel Navarra; a son, Peter Waning; six grand- children; and his former wife, Jane Wan- ing Nicholas.