Helen Powers Carson, an honorary member of the Bowdoin Alumni Association, died on January 31, 2007, in Corvallis, Oregon, at the age of 81.
Born in Poland, Ohio, she graduated from Smith College in Northampton, Mass., in 1947 and married Robert S. Carson in 1948. After his graduation from Western Reserve Medical School, they moved to Portland, Ore., where he was a medical intern at the Good Samaritan Hospital, and she worked for Blue Cross Blue Shield.After several years in San Francisco, Calif., they moved in 1955 to Maine, where Dr. Carson established a medical practice. Helen served for more than 30 years as the secretary of the English Department at the College.After retiring, she volunteered at the Curtis Memorial Library in Brunswick. She moved in 2000 to Corvallis and became a member of the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship and an enthusiastic participant in the Academy for Lifelong Learning. Upon her retirement from Bowdoin, she was elected an honorary member of the Bowdoin Alumni Association. Surviving are three daughters, Mina Carson of Corvallis, Ore., Laura Carson of Portland, Ore., and Sally Carson ofTucson,Ariz;a brother,JohnW.Powers; and two grandchildren.