Henry Augustus Shorey III ’41 died on April 30, 2006, in Bridgton, Maine.
Born on December 1, 1918, in Augusta, he prepared for college at Bridgton High School and Hebron Academy and became a member of Theta Delta Chi Fraternity at Bowdoin. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army from 1941 to 1945 and received the Air Medal and the Purple Heart, retiring as a first lieutenant in the Field Artillery. From 1946 until 1952, he was a production planner with Ginn & Company, textbook publishers in Boston. In 1952, he returned to Bridgton where he was the publisher and owner of The Bridgton News. From 1957 until 1979, he was Bridgton’s postmaster, and his wife, Eula, was the paper’s managing editor until she retired in 1992. In 1999, both of them were inducted into the Maine Press Association Hall of Fame for “steadfast dedication, promotion of the town and region, and community service, as well as strong commitment to journalistic integrity.” He was an organizing member of the Bridgton Industrial Development Commission, a trustee and treasurer of Bridgton Academy, president of the Bridgton Public Library, treasurer of the Bridgton Water District, and president of the Maine Press Association in 1970-71. He was, for nearly forty years, president of the Bridgton High School Scholarship Foundation and was a charter member and president of the Bridgton Historical Society, president of the Bridgton Chamber of Commerce, and a trustee of the Bridgton Water District. He was a member of the First Congregational Church of Bridgton and for many years a member of its choir, as well as a trustee and deacon. In Bowdoin affairs he served as secretary of the Class of 1941 for many years, chair of the Fryeburg area for Bowdoin’s capital campaign of the early 1960s, and was an elected member of the Alumni Council. In 1978, he and two cousins established the Shorey Family Scholarship Fund at the College in honor and memory of the members of the Shorey family who had attended Bowdoin. For many years he and his wife spent winters in Sun City Center, FL, where he was an associate member of the Community Church and taught English to farm workers at the Beth El Mission of the Presbyterian Church in Waumama. Surviving are his wife, Eula Enochs Shorey, whom he married in 1945; a son, Stephen Shorey of Bridgton; a daughter, Dr. Mary E. Shorey of Bridgewater, MA; and two granddaughters.