Henry Campbell Dixon, Jr. ’46 died on July 23, 2005, in Norwich, Connecticut.
Born on June 2, 1925, in Hartford, CT, he prepared for college at Fryeburg Academy. He entered Bowdoin in January of 1943 as a member of the Class of 1946 and became a member of Delta Upsilon Fraternity. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Navy from 1943 to 1946. He graduated from the College in 1949 as a member of the Class of 1946. After teaching mathematics at Houlton High School for a year, he was an underwriter with the Aetna (Fire) Insurance Company in Hartford, CT, for three years. From 1953 to 1956 he taught mathematics at Mercersburg Academy in Pennsylvania. After three more years as a teacher at the George School in Newton, PA, he joined the faculty at Berwick Academy, where he became chair of the mathematics department and remained until 1970. After a year as assistant dean at Mohegan Community College in Norwich, CT, he became chair of the mathematics department at the Williams School in New London, CT. He continued to teach for many years at the University of Connecticut at the Avery Point branch in Groton. He received a master of arts degree from Trinity College in Hartford, CT, and also studied at Boston College, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in New York, and the University of Connecticut in Storrs. He was also the Connecticut state manager for a small company doing supermarket demonstrations throughout New England. He was the senior warden at the Church of the Resurrection and a Eucharistic minister at Christ Episcopal Church. He was a member of the Norwich Democratic Committee and the Norwich Tourism Commission, was from 1967 to 1969 president of the Old Berwick Historical Society in South Berwick, was a member of the Mathematical Association of America and the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics, and was president of the Campbell Dixon Associates in Norwich beginning in 1970. Surviving are his sister, Diana Dixon of Suffield, CT, a niece, and two nephews.