James Hopkinson Cupit, Jr. ’41 died on December 20, 2003, in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania.
Born on September 8, 1919, in Baltimore, MD, he prepared for college at Towson (MD) High School and St. Paul’s School in Baltimore, MD, and became a member of Beta Theta Pi Fraternity at Bowdoin, which he attended from 1937 to 1941 before serving in the U. S. Navy during World War II from 1942 to 1945. He attained the rank of specialist 1st class in the Office of Naval Intelligence while stationed overseas. He returned to Bowdoin after the war and graduated in 1946. In 1949, he graduated from the General Theological Seminary in New York City and then did graduate work there and at Oxford University in England. He was ordained a priest of the Episcopal Church in 1950 and served as rector of parishes in Maryland, New Jersey, Illinois, Pennsylvania, and New York. He was the founder of St. Andrew’s Day School in Lambertville, NJ, founder and chair of the board of the Main Line Day Care Center in Bryn Mawr, and the founder and rector of the Church of the Resurrection in Manhattan. He was married in 1943 to Ellen S. Little, who died in 1986, and is survived by a son, James H. Cupit III of Upper Darby, PA, three daughters, Pamela S. Goldsman of Boulder, CO; and Ann C. Cox of Glade Spring, VA, and Elizabeth R. Lawless of Sudbury, MA; eight grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.