James Wallace Blunt, Jr. ’40 died on December 14, 2003, in Williamsburg, Virginia.
Born on March 16, 1918, in Skowhegan, he prepared for college at the Loomis School in Windsor, CT, and became a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon Fraternity at Bowdoin. Following his graduation in 1940, he was a teaching fellow in biology at the College and then entered Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, from which he received his M.D. degree in 1944. He interned at Toledo Hospital in Ohio and was a resident physician at the New York Orthopedic Hospital and Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center in New York. From 1953 to 1955, he was chief of surgery in the U.S. Army’s 2nd Field Hospital in Munich, Germany, and for the next eight years, as a civilian, he supervised and operated a surgical research laboratory in Cleveland, OH. He returned to active duty in the Army in 1961 and had three assignments in Germany and one in Vietnam before serving as commanding officer of McDonald Army Hospital at Fort Eustis, VA, from 1978 until 1985, when he retired as a colonel. He was awarded the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star, the Meritorious Service Medal with an Oak Leaf Cluster, and the Vietnam Gallantry Cross with palm. He is survived by his wife, Elsie Moore Blunt, whom he married in 1949; a daughter, Mary K. Blunt ’74, of Williamsburg, VA; a brother, James P. Blunt ’31 of Hadlyme, CT; a sister, Phoebe B. Kurz of Sterling, VA; and two grandchildren.