Jeffrey Richardson Power ’45 died on August 11, 2006, in Cohasset, Massachusetts.
Born on March 14, 1924, in Chicago, IL, he prepared for college at Sudbury (MA) High School and Wells High School and became a member of Beta Theta Pi Fraternity at Bowdoin, which he attended from 1941 until February of 1943. During World War II he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces from 1943 to 1946, attaining the rank of first lieutenant. He returned to the College in 1946 and following his graduation in February of 1947 as a member of the Class of 1945 was a trainee with the Chase National Bank in New York City for a year. He was an assistant buyer with Filene’s, Inc., in Boston from 1948 to 1950 and, following a year in sales with Time, Inc. in Boston, entered Harvard Business School, from which he received a master of business administration degree in 1953. After three years in Philadelphia, PA, as a foreman with the Container Corporation of America, he returned to Boston in 1956, where he was an investment broker with a number of firms until his retirement in 2005 as a vice president with Detwiler, Mitchell, Fenton and Graves, Inc. He was a member and treasurer of the Cohasset (MA) Golf Club and served on the vestry of St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church for many years. For more than twenty years he participated in the Good Friday Walk in Hingham, MA, which addresses the needs of rural children, and in 2004 he was honored as the single largest fundraiser in the history of the Walk. In the aftermath of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami disaster he donated a community water purification and desalination system to the victims in India. Surviving are his wife, Barbara Brown Power, whom he married in 1956; two daughters, Deborah Power of Carlisle, MA, and Pamela Power of New York City; a son, Jeffrey R. Power, Jr. of Wilbraham, MA; a sister, Penny Odiorne of Vero Beach, FL; and six grandchildren.