John Alfred Henry ’53 died on May 3, 2006, in Portland, Maine.
Born on February 11, 1931, in Westbrook, he prepared for college at South Portland High School and became a member of Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity at Bowdoin. Following his graduation in 1952 cum laude and as a member of Phi Beta Kappa and the Class of 1953, he served in the U.S. Air Force from 1952 to 1956, attaining the rank of staff sergeant. In 1960 he graduated from George Washington University Law School after also working for three years for the Internal Revenue Service from 1957 to 1960. He was an attorney with Ropes & Gray in Boston from 1960 to 1968, when he moved to Phoenix, AZ, where he was associated with the law firm of Lewis & Roca for two years. In 1970 he was a founding partner in the Phoenix firm of Moeller and Henry with which he was associated until 1990. He continued to practice on a part-time basis in Phoenix until 1997, when he returned to Maine. He was a member of the Virginia, Massachusetts, Arizona, and American Bar Associations and had served as president and chairman of the board of the Arizona Division of the American Cancer Society, receiving in 1974 its Award of Recognition. Surviving are his sons, James R. Henry and Jeffrey A. Henry, both of Phoenix; two sisters, Joyce H. Munier of Newburyport, MA, and Elizabeth L. Davis of Cape Elizabeth; and a brother, Merton G. Henry ’50 of Scarborough.