John Angus Manfuso, Jr. ’51 died on August 19, 2006, in Wheaton, MD.
John Angus Manfuso, Jr. ’51 died on August 19, 2006, in Wheaton, MD. Born on September 6, 1928, in Washington, D.C., he prepared for college at the Landon School in Bethesda, MD, and became a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon Fraternity at Bowdoin. Following his graduation in 1951 he served in the U.S.Army for two years during the Korean conflict. He then joined Burton, Parsons & Company, Inc., manufacturers of pharmaceuticals, in Washington, D.C., with which he was for many years vice president and general manager. He retired in 1979 when the company was sold and moved to Florida. Between 1985 and 1990 he, his brother, Robert Manfuso, and Frank De Francis owned and operated the Pimlico, Bowie, and Laurel horse-racing parks in Maryland. As vice president/secretary, he was for some years responsible for the physical plant at the parks, including their modification and maintenance. He was also part owner of Four Brothers Stable, a breeding and racing partnership that bred several champion racehorses. He was a past commissioner of the town of Manalapan, FL from 1996 to 2002, and was elected by his fellow commissioners to serve as mayor pro tem from 1998 to 2001.An avid golfer, Mr. Manfuso was a member of the Columbia Country Club, the Burning Tree Club, and the Pine Tree Club. Surviving are his wife,Yardley Mannix Manfuso, whom he married in 1954; two daughters, Susan Faries of Potomac, MD, and Barbara Y. Appleby of Chevy Chase, MD; a son, Jamie Manfuso of Olney, MD; four sisters, Betty Jo Miller of Colorado Springs, CO, Delma Morrison of Chevy Chase, Claudia Knudsen of Bethesda, MD, and Ann Paras of San Francisco, CA; a brother, Robert Manfuso; and eight grandchildren.