Leonard Solomon Gottlieb ’47 died on December 7, 2006, in Brookline, MA.
Leonard Solomon Gottlieb ’47 died on December 7, 2006, in Brookline, MA. Born on May 26, 1927, in Boston, he prepared for college at Lewiston High School and became a member of Zeta Psi Fraternity at Bowdoin. Following his graduation cum laude in September of 1946 as a member of the Class of 1947, he entered Tufts University School of Medicine, from which he graduated in 1950. In 1969, he received a master of public health degree from the Harvard University School of Public Health. He interned at the first inaugural surgical service at Boston City Hospital and was a resident in pathology at the Mallory Institute of Pathology at Boston City Hospital from 1951 to 1955. He served on active duty in the U.S. Navy from 1955 to 1957, and retired from the U.S. Navy Reserves in 1963 as a lieutenant commander. Following his military service, he returned to the Mallory Institute of Pathology, where he was associate pathologist from 1957 to 1966, associate director from 1966 to 1972. In 1972, he became the director of the Mallory Institute. He was also chief of pathology at the University Hospital in Boston beginning in 1973, a professor of pathology at Tufts University, a lecturer on pathology at the Harvard University Medical School, and a professor and vice chairman of the Boston University School of Medicine for many years. He was the first recipient of the F. Parker, Jr. Memorial Award of the New England Society of Pathologists in 1971 and the recipient of Bowdoin’s Distinguished Educator Award in 1995. He was a Fellow of the American Society of Clinical Pathologists and a Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners. Through the years, he served as secretary, treasurer, and president of the New England Society of Pathologists and was a member of the Greater Boston Council on Alcoholism, the American Society of Clinical Pathologists, the Massachusetts Cytology Society, the New England Association of Electron Microscopy, the Massachusetts Society of Pathologists, the Massachusetts Medical Society, and the Charles River Medical Society. Beginning in about 1970, he made more than 20 visits to the Hebrew University Hadassah Medical School in Israel, and was the recipient of the Torch of Learning Award in 1998 from the American Friends of The Hebrew University. From 1980 to 2003, he was chair of the pathology and laboratory medicine department at the Boston University School of Medicine, and for 30 years he was a member of the senior leadership team of the Boston Medical Center and its predecessor, Boston City Hospital. In Bowdoin affairs, Dr. Gottlieb was a BASIC volunteer and a capital campaign worker. Surviving are his wife, Dorothy Apt Gottlieb, whom he married in 1952; a daughter, Julie Ann Gottlieb of Cromwell, CT; two sons, William A. Gottlieb of Boston and Andrew R. Gottlieb of Newton, MA; a brother, Burton M. Gottlieb ’51 of Auburn; and seven grandchildren.