Malcolm W. Cass ’37 died on May 26, 2008, in Stephentown, New York.
Born on March 22, 1916, in Columbia Falls, Maine. He prepared for college at Bar Harbor High School, where he played organ, piano, and violin. Following his graduation, magna cum laude, from Bowdoin, he moved to Philadelphia, where he earned his O.D. from Pennsylvania State College of Optometry in 1940. He returned to Portland, Maine, and entered optometric practice there. During World War II, he served in the Pacific as a captain in the United States Army Air Forces. After the war, he rebuilt his practice in Portland. He served as President of the Maine State Board of Optometry, a 60-year member of the American Guild of Organists, a founding member of the Friends of the Kotzschmar Organ, a member of the Torch Club of Western Maine, a member of the South Portland Lions Club, and a frequent performer as an organist, continuing as organist and choir director at Peoples United Methodist Church in South Portland until his retirement in 2007 after 67 years of service. He was married in 1943 to Hildreth Edwards (Hillie) Cass, who predeceased him, and he is survived by two sons, Malcolm and David of Stephentown, NY; two grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.