Philip Cleland Young ’40 died on November 14, 2004, in New Orleans, Louisiana.
Born on September 3, 1918, in New Haven, VT, he prepared for college at St. Johnsbury Academy in Vermont and worked for a year before entering Bowdoin. Following his graduation in 1940, he was a teacher at the Gilman Country School in Baltimore, MD, for a year before serving in the U.S. Army from 1941 to 1946 during World War II, attaining the rank of major. He remained in the Reserve until 1960, when he retired as a lieutenant colonel in the Army Air Force. In 1950, he graduated from the University of Rochester Medical School and was an intern for two years at Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, followed by two years as a resident at the Cincinnati General Hospital in Ohio. After serving for three more years there as a fellow in gastroenterology, he became a staff physician at the Ochsner Clinic in New Orleans, where for many years he remained until his retirement in 1989. He was also a professor of clinical medicine at Tulane University and a Fellow of the American College of Physicians.