Philip Mackey Johnson ’40 died on December 1, 2006, in Waldwick, New Jersey.
Born on April 8, 1917, in Dedham, MA, he prepared for college at Dedham High School and New Hampton School in New Hampshire and became a member of Chi Psi Fraternity at Bowdoin. Following his graduation in 1940, he was a loan assistant with the Boston Safe Deposit and Trust Company before serving in the U. S. Navy from 1941 to 1945 during World War II, attaining the rank of lieutenant. He was awarded the Purple Heart after he broke his leg when the ship on which he was serving, the USS Henley, was hit by a torpedo off the coast of New Guinea. He was rescued after 14 hours in the water. After the war, he returned to his pre-war position with the Boston Safe Deposit and Trust Company, where he was employed until 1948, when he became office manager with Burche Silver Company in Stoneham, MA. From 1949 to 1953, he was manager of Brewster Wallpaper Company in Boston, and ,from 1953 to 1957, he was a purchasing agent with the Norfolk Paine Corporation in Quincy, MA. From 1957 until his retirement, he was a merchandise coordinator with West Point Pepperell, Inc., in New York City.After retiring,he lived in New Jersey, where he was the historian for a local men’s club, Hobbyists Unlimited. He was married in 1946 to Virginia Felton, who predeceased him, and is survived by two daughters, Gail F. Ericsson and Cheryl T. Keith; two sons, Philip B. Johnson and Roger C. Johnson; and several grandchildren.