Philmore Ross ’43 died on September 4, 2005, in Boynton Beach, Florida.
Born on April 19, 1922, in Biddeford, he prepared for college at Biddeford High school and attended Bowdoin from 1939 to early 1943 and then served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps for three years during World War II, attaining the rank of sergeant. In September of 1944, he received his bachelor of science degree from Bowdoin. After the war, he was a salesman with A.E. Ross and Sons Company in Biddeford for a year, was a trainee with Sears Roebuck in Portland for a year, and then became president of the Canterbury Shop, Inc., in Brunswick. During his career he also owned Phil’s Men’s Store and the J.E. Davis Company on Maine Street in Brunswick. He served two terms on the Brunswick School Committee and was president of the Brunswick Area Chamber of Commerce, and a director of the United Way and the American Red Cross in the Brunswick area. A member of Temple Beth El in Portland, he was married in 1947 to Pauline Weinman, who died in 1979, and is survived by his second wife, Marcelle Kaplan Ross; a daughter, Ilana Franne Golan of Israel; a son, Jeffrey Ross of Auburn; and four grandchildren.