Richard Pennypacker Davis ’49 died on June 21, 2007, in Cumberland, Maryland.
Born on November 23, 1927, in Orange, N.J., he prepared for college at St.Andrew’s School in Middletown, Del., and became a member of Chi Psi Fraternity at Bowdoin. From September of 1946 to January 1, 1948 he served in the U.S.Army as a corporal and, following his return to Bowdoin, graduated in 1950 as a member of the Class of 1949. He was the Class Agent for 1949 for several years and became a reporter with the Meridan Record in Connecticut, followed by positions as a reporter with the Potsdam Courier and Freeman in Potsdam, N.Y., and the Democrat and Chronicle in Rochester, N.Y. In 1956, he became the copy editor with the Evening Sun in Baltimore, Md. In 1961, he became the director of international affairs with the American Newspaper Guild in Washington, D.C., and in 1969 he became director of information and community with the Department of Housing in Baltimore. He was president of the Baltimore Newspaper Guild from 1958 to 1960, and in 1969 he became director of information and community development with the Department of Housing in Baltimore. In 1972, he was named president of the Baltimore City Fair, a voluntary post. In 1984, he became director of the Hollins, Cross Street, Broadway, Northeast, Lafayette, and Belair markets. He retired in 1993. Surviving are his wife, Margie Gale Davis, whom he married in 1960, and two brothers,William F. Davis, Jr. of Williamsburg,Va., and James C. Davis of Philadelphia, Penn.