Stanley Fritz Johnson ’55 died on March 13, 2004, in Alna, Maine.
Born on October 18, 1924, in Woburn, MA, he prepared for college at Lowell (MA) High School and during World War II served in the U. S. Army, attaining the rank of sergeant as a surgical technician. He graduated from Bangor Theological Seminary in 1953 and then served as pastor of the Wiscasset First Congregational Church and the First Congregational Church at North Edgecomb. In 1953, he entered Bowdoin as a member of the junior class and was graduated in 1957 as a member of the Class of 1955. He became pastor of the First Congregational Church in Lee, MA, in 1962, and, in 1968, he became pastor of the First Congregational Church in Falmouth, MA, a position he held until his retirement in 1986, when he moved to Woolwich. In 1987, he became pastor of the Day’s Ferry Congregational Church, which he continued to serve. In 1979, he received an honorary doctor of divinity degree from Piedmont College in Georgia, and, in 1980, he was the recipient of the Distinguished Alumnus Award of Bangor Theological Seminary, which he served for some years as a trustee. He married his former wife, now Eleanore M. Harbic of Vienna, Austria, in 1946, and they had four children. In 1993, he married Blanche G. Barnes, who survives him, as do three daughters, Barbara Johnson-Butts of Milton, MA, Lorraine R. Johnson of Los Angeles, CA, and Elizabeth A.C. Johnson of Cranston, RI; a son, Stanley F. Johnson, Jr. of Charlestown, RI; three brothers, Ernest B. Johnson ’54 of West Gardiner, Arthur H. Johnson of Chelmsford, MA, and Robert W. Johnson of Westford, MA; a sister, Lorraine A. Small of Yarmouth, MA; and three grandchildren.