Stephen Roald Hustvedt ’50 died on January 10, 2005, in Crownsville, Maryland.
Born on May 8, 1925, in Washington, DC, he prepared for college at St. Albans School there, at St. George’s School in Newport, RI, and at the Moses Brown School in Providence, RI. He served in the U.S. Army from 1943 to 1947, attaining the rank of first lieutenant in the Counter Intelligence Corps. He entered Bowdoin in 1947 as a member of the Class of 1950 and joined Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity. Following his graduation cum laude in 1950, he joined the Buck Printing Company in Boston, where he became head of the electronics art department. He was also an artist with Capozio-Kenney Studios in Washington, DC, before becoming an art teacher at the Kent School in Connecticut in 1954. He was head of the art department at the Oldfields School in Glencoe, MD, from 1961 to 1968 and at the Simon’s Rock School in Great Barrington, MA, from 1968 to 1970, when he became president of Hustvedt Studios, Inc., in Annapolis. He also taught at the Severn School in Severna Park, MD, from 1977 to 1979. He designed the Maryland Bicentennial postage stamp in 1988; four flight insignias for the space shuttle flights, notably the “Return to Flight” mission of 1988,; and was an artist-in-residence at Maryland Hall until 2002. Two of his paintings were made into prints and sold by the New York Graphic Society. In 1975, he received a patent for a radio mobile design, and in the same year he did a major portrait of the Coast Guard Barque “Eagle” for the U.S. Coast Guard Academy. He was married in 1954 to Edith Debevoise, who survives him, as do a son, Peter M. Hustvedt of Centreville, VA; a daughter, Virginia P. Hustvedt of Annapolis; and three grandchildren.