William Miller Davis ’49 died on January 23, 2007, in Pittsburgh, Penn.
William Miller Davis ’49 died on January 23, 2007, in Pittsburgh, Penn. Born on September 24, 1927, in Pittsburgh, he prepared for college at Shady Side Academy and became a member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity at Bowdoin.After a year in the U.S. Navy in 1945-46, he graduated in 1949 and entered the Philadelphia Divinity School, from which he received a divinity degree in 1953.After two years as vicar of St. Bartholomew’s Church in Sistdale, Penn., he was assistant rector at the Church of the Advent in Spartansburg, S.C., for three years and vicar at St. Andrew’s Church in Newfane, N.Y., for three years. In 1961, he became rector of St. Paul’s Parish in New Albany, Ind. From 1969 to 1974, he was associate rector of St. Alban’s Episcopal Church in Washington, D.C., and then was, for some years, rector of Trinity Episcopal Parish in Hughesville, Md., from which he retired in 1987, when he moved back to Pittsburgh. He was married in 1952 to Louise Eddy, who predeceased him, and is survived by three daughters, Jean D.Taft of East Falmouth, Mass., Laura D. Davis of Pittsburgh, and Helen T. Davis of Pittsburgh; three brothers John P. Davis, Jr. of Pittsburgh, Richard G. Davis ’57 of Littleton, Colo., and George H. Davis ’60 of East Hampton, N.Y.; and two grandchildren.