Andrew G. Lano ’52 died on November 1, 2011, in Portland, Maine.
He was born on January 6, 1928, in Portland, and graduated from Portland High School, where he was a storied athlete, captaining the football, baseball, and basketball teams his senior year and winning the Vinall Trophy in 1945 as the state’s top Class A basketball player. He also attended Portland Junior College and served to corporal in the Army before heading to Bowdoin, where he was a member of Chi Psi fraternity. He went on to play two years in the Cleveland Indians farm system and one year with the Washington Senators farm team, followed by Maine semi-pro action before a knee injury ended his professional baseball dream. He took up golf with the same passion and won three straight Val Halla club championships in the mid 1960s. In 1969, he won an MSGA father-son title with Andy II. He was a longtime supporter of the MSGA weekly tournaments and was a regular at Riverside Municipal Golf Course, where he played and volunteered his time. He was inducted into the Maine Baseball Hall of Fame in 1982 followed by induction into the Maine Sports Hall of Fame in 1999. He worked 19 years as a salesman for E. E. Taylor Shoe Company in Freeport. In 1973, he opened his own shoe store, Andy Lano Shoes for Men, in the Eastland Hotel in Portland. At the time he retired, he was operating a successful siding, insulation, and roofing business. He is survived by his wife of 51 years, Arlene Meader Lano; two daughters, Melody Amell and Maureen E. Lano; two sons, John A. and Andrew G. Lano II; and four grandchildren. He was predeceased by four brothers, George, James, Lumbe, and Spiro Lano.