Arthur F. Williams ’50 died December 28, 2013, Stowe, Vt., He was born on July 3, 1926, in Bath, and prepared for college at St. Georges, Choate, and Clark schools. He was a member of Alpha Delta Phi fraternity and went on to study political science for two years at the University of Vermont. He joined the American Field Service during World War II, where he served to sergeant as an ambulance driver for the French Army. After teaching for a few years at private schools in Connecticut and New York, he and his wife, Hanne Nielsen Williams, moved to the Mad River Valley in 1958, and taught together in one-room schoolhouses in Moretown and Fayston. He was one of the original investors in Sugarbush Resort in Warren, Vt. He served three two-year terms as town representative from Fayston and then was appointed chair of historic sites and the first executive director of the State Council on the Arts. He retired from the Arts Council in 1986 and stayed on as curator of the Vermont State House to oversee the State House restoration. He later founded the Friends of the Vermont State House to support the ongoing financial needs of the project. He served as a state representative from 1961 to 1966. He was also the founder of The Community Fund, which was set up to meet the needs of Mad River Valley residents. An avid polo player for forty years, he co-founded the first professional polo league in the Mad River Valley and played in tournaments throughout New England and in Canada. Later in life, he discovered a love for painting and completed dozens of oil paintings of maritime scenes. He also loved to write and recently completed his memoir. He is survived by daughter Astrid, sons John and Nate, sister Anne Winter, and four grandchildren. He was predeceased by his wife of fifty-five years, Hanne Nielsen Williams, and brothers Jack and Sewall Williams.