Charles W. Redman Jr. ’42 died July 1, 2014, at his home in Portland, Maine.
He was born in Corinna on February 15, 1920, and graduated from Bangor High School as class president. A member of Alpha Delta Phi fraternity, he went directly to Officer’s Training School after Bowdoin and graduated as a lieutenant junior grade. During World War II, he served for nearly two years in the South Pacific Theater of Operations, mostly on the Destroyer USS Bennion. After his discharge from the Navy, he joined the Milliken Tomlinson Company and worked for a time in each of the company’s branches, returning to Portland in 1956. He rose to the position of president and served in that role until the company was sold, after which he retired. After retiring, Charles was appointed by the city as a Director of the Portland Fish Exchange. The Exchange building on Commercial Street in Portland is named in his honor. He was also a founding director of the Maine Cancer Research Foundation. He is survived by his wife of 69 years, Wilma Parker Redman; sons Joseph P. Redman ’70 and Charles Redman III ’73; four grandchildren and sister Lucy Mae. He was predeceased by brother M. Chandler Redman ’34 and sister Mary Jane.