Edward M. Brown ’51 died on September 20, 2013, in Wakefield, Rhode Island.
He was born in Spring Lake, N.J., on May 8, 1929, and prepared for college at Pembroke Hill School and the Kent School. He was a member of Alpha Delta Phi fraternity. He also studied classical languages at Columbia University and served to lieutenant in the Coast Guard. He worked for the former William H. Haskell Manufacturing Company in Pawtucket for many years, including as president and CEO, and continued in that capacity after the company was sold to the Easco Company in Baltimore. He then traveled worldwide working in the export department of the AT Cross Company. He concluded his career with the City of Providence as a member of the planning and economic development department. He served on the board of the Boston Lying Inn Hospital (now Brigham and Women’s) and Trinity Repertory Company. He was a member and president of Agawam Hunt, Weekapaug Tennis and Yacht Clubs, and a member of the RI Commodores. He also served as moderator of the Weekapaug Fire District and received the Henry Morris Award for his many contributions to that community. He was involved with the Nopes Island Conservation Association and the Quonochontaug Beach Conservation Commission and was a long time communicant of St. Martin’s Church. He is survived by daughters Kathryn Weiner and Cynthia Brown; son Otis Brown; nine grandchildren, including Christopher G. Weiner ’05; and his twin brother, William P. Brown. He was predeceased by his wife of fifty-nine years, Martha Whitaker Brown.