G. Roger Edwards ’35, who served as assistant curator of Bowdoin’s Museum of Art from 1939 to 1946, died on June 9, 2009, in Haverford, Pennsylvania.
He was born on October 11, 1914, in Southington, and prepared for college at Lewis High School. He graduated from Bowdoin cum laude, a member of Phi Beta Kappa, and went on to earn a master’s degree from Johns Hopkins University in 1937 and then a doctorate in classical archaeology from the University of Pennsylvania in 1939. He received a second master’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1971. After cutting his teeth at the Bowdoin Museum of Art, he engaged in excavation and research at Corinth and Athens, Greece, with the American School of Classical Studies in Athens from 1946 to 1950. For the next 30 years, he was a member of the faculty of the University of Pennsylvania, beginning as assistant professor of classical archaeology, then serving as assistant curator of the University Museum, associate professor of classical archaeology and associate curator, and finally professor of classical archaeology and curator of the museum. After retiring, he was named professor and curator emeritus. He served in the Army from 1941 to 1945, attaining the rank of master sergeant. He authored numerous scholarly journal articles, as well as contributing to the book, “Corinth: Results of Excavations Conducted by the American School of Classical Studies at Athens” (vol. VII, part 3, Corinthian Hellenistic Pottery) He was predeceased by a sister, Mildred Jones and two brothers, William and Alan Edwards.