Leon Truman Buker ’49 died on October 17, 2007, in Ocala, Fla.
Born on December 15, 1927, in Thomaston, Maine, he prepared for college at Classical High School in Springfield, Mass., and became a member of Delta Upsilon Fraternity at Bowdoin, which he entered in 1945. In 1946-47, he served in the U.S. Army as a corporal. He graduated cum laude in 1951 as a member of the Class of 1949. From 1953 to 1956, he taught at Shady Side Academy in Pennsylvania and then taught at Gerard College in Philadelphia for a year. He then joined the faculty at the Isadore Newman School in New Orleans, La. In 1961, he received a master of arts in teaching degree in French from Tulane University. In that year, he was appointed to the faculty at St. Mary’s College of Maryland, where he taught for many years. He became the proprietor of the Lamar Lanes bowling alley in 1971. He is survived by his wife, Mary A. Buker of Ocala, Fla.