Page Prentiss Stephens ’41 died on February 8, 2005, in Rock Hill, South Carolina.
Born on April 23, 1919, in Danville, IL, he prepared for college at Springfield (IL) High School and became a member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity at Bowdoin. Following his graduation in 1941, he served in the U.S. Navy during World War II from 1941 to 1945, attaining the rank of lieutenant, and receiving the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal as the pilot of a torpedo plane in the Atlantic and Pacific theaters of operation. After the war, he remained in the Navy Reserve and became commander. He also joined Proctor and Gamble Manufacturing Company, where he held a number of positions in Kansas City, KS, Staten Island, NY, Iowa City, IA, and New Jersey before retiring in 1979. In retirement, he was president and chairman of the board of Page Stephens Corporation. He was a commercial pilot and a member of the East Chop (MA) Tennis Club, the East Chop Beach Club, the Edgartown Golf Club, the River Hills Country Club, and the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9261 in Martha’s Vineyard, MA. He also served as a trustee of Union Chapel in Oaks Bluffs, MA. In retirement, he was a tutor in adult literacy programs in Lake Wylie, SC, and was an emergency medical technician with the River Hills emergency squad. Surviving are his wife, Nancy Hegeman Stephens, whom he married in 1945; three sons, Page P.C. Stephens, John R. D. Stephens, and David P.B. Stephens; five grandchildren; and several other relatives, including his nephew, Harvey B. Stevens ’55, and a grand- nephew, Scott S. Stephens ’91.