William Edmund MacIntyre ’45 died on June 6, 2007, in Newark, Delaware.
Born on July 25, 1924, in Judique, Nova Scotia, Canada, he prepared for college at the Public Latin School in Boston, Mass., and became a member of Alpha Delta Phi Fraternity at Bowdoin, which he attended from 1941 to 1943, when he left to serve in the U.S. Navy as an aviator during World War II, serving until 1946 and attaining the rank of ensign. In February of 1947, he graduated from Bowdoin magna cum laude and as a member of Phi Beta Kappa.After graduating from Harvard Law School in 1949, he served as a law clerk for a U.S. Judge in New Hampshire until 1951, when he joined the E. I. DuPont de Nemours and Company’s legal department. In 1953, he was recalled to active service with the Navy and taught aviation cadets until 1954, when he returned to civilian life and to the DuPont Company in its antitrust division. From 1965 to 1968, he was director of Oegal-Europe with DuPont de Nemours International S.A., a Swiss subsidiary. He returned to Wilmington, Del., in 1969 as a senior attorney in the General Legal Division, of which he was the chief counsel until he became assistant general counsel. During his career, he served as chairman of the Delaware State Chamber of Commerce, as president of the Delaware Heart Association, and as a member of the board of directors and executive committee of the American Heart Association. He also served on the board of the Delaware State Chamber of Commerce for eight years before being elected its chairman. He was the first recipient of the Andrew Haldane Cup at Bowdoin in 1947, was a member of the Wilmington Country Club and the University and Whist Club, and for many years served as a member of the Parish Council of the Church of St. Joseph’s on the Brandywine Catholic Church. Surviving are his wife, Dorothy Mason MacIntyre; two sons, Steven E. MacIntyre ’72 of Littlefield, Ariz., and Donald W. MacIntyre ’76 of Oceanside, Calif.; a sister, Charlotte M. Mazerall of Lexington, Mass.; and six grandchildren.