James Emerson Herrick ’45 died on July 9, 2007, in Bath, Maine.
Born on December 31, 1904, in Camden, he attended Bangor Theological Seminary, the University of Maine at Orono, Bates College, and Bowdoin, which he attended in 1943-44 as a special student. He was ordained a Methodist minister in 1927 and served in churches in Wayne, Pemaquid, Orr’s Island, and Bailey Island. In 1944, he went to the Aleutian Islands to work with the Knudson Construction Company for 18 months. When he returned, he resumed his pastoral duties and also became the postmaster for Bailey Island. He built seven cottages as an additional source of income. He was an active pastor for 75 years, and twice gave the opening prayer for the Maine State Legislature. He was one of the organizers of the Bailey Island Tuna Tournament, was a member of the Maine State Highway Commission for several years, and was active with the Boy Scouts and the fire department. His first wife, Antoinette, died in 1967. His second wife, Mary Frey Herrick, died in 2004. He is survived by a son, James E.Herrick,Jr.ofArlington,Texas;two daughters, Helen Johnson of Cundy’s Harbor and Alice Jewell of Woolwich; 16 grandchildren; 36 great-grandchildren; and six great-great-grandchildren.