Philip H. Philbin ’45 died on October 10, 2010, in Bethesda, Maryland.
(The following was provided by The Washington Post on October 23, 2010)
Philip H. Philbin, 88, a retired general surgeon who practiced in Washington and Laurel, died Oct. 10 at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda. He had pneumonia.
Dr. Philbin was on the staff of several area hospitals, including Washington Hospital Center, where he was chief of the surgery department in the 1970s and 1980s and was chief of staff in 1973.
He served as chief of staff of Greater Laurel-Beltsville Community Hospital, now Laurel Regional Hospital, in the late 1970s. During that time, he worked as an assistant professor of surgery at Georgetown University. He retired in 1992.
Dr. Philbin served on the board of the D.C. chapters of Blue Shield, the American Cancer Society and the American College of Surgeons, for which he served as chapter president in 1976.
Philip Henry Philbin, a Bethesda resident, was a native of Lowell, Mass. He was a 1945 graduate of Bowdoin College in Maine and a 1947 graduate of Yale University’s medical school.
While serving in the Air Force in the early 1950s, he was chief of surgical services at hospitals in Alaska and Alabama.
He was a member of Congressional Country Club in Bethesda and the University of Maryland’s Terrapin Club athletic scholarship fund.
Survivors include his wife of 61 years, Josephine Towler Philbin of Bethesda; five children, Josephine Philbin of Westminster, S.C., Philip Philbin of Potomac, Dr. Kathryn Alberti of Bernardsville, N.J., Sally Curtiss of Harding, N.J., and Peter Philbin of Bethesda; a brother; two sisters; and 11 grandchildren.